- 500g peeled and coarsely grated apple (about 3 apples)
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour (or 1/2 self raising flour and 1 cup of plain flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 125g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 60g butter
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Combine apple, dates baking soda and 1 cup boiling water in a bowl; stand 5 min.
- Beat butter, vanilla, caster sugar and 1 egg together until light and fluffy.
- Stir in apple mixture and flour. Pour into greased and lined 23cm square pan. Bake in preheated moderate oven 40 min.
- Topping: Combine butter, brown sugar, milk and shredded coconut and heat gently until sugar dissolves and butter melts.
- After the cake has had 40min in oven, pour warm coconut mixture over, spread thinly to cover.
- Continue baking cake 25min or until browned and crisp.
- Cool 5min before turning out.
Note: Can also be made without the topping.