A walk from Eltham and Environs Walking Group.
Commences at the Eltham Library, Main Rd Eltham. Follow the road under the railway bridge, and veer left to walk around Eltham Central Park and Andrew Park. Turn right into Diamond St, follow this around and cross the railway line. At the traffic lights, cross Main Rd and turn left. After 100m, take the path on the right just past the medical clinic. Turn left at Bible St / Grove St. Walk past the primary school, then cross the road to enter Woodridge Linear Park on the right. Follow the path for 600m, cross Hartland Way and walk a further 400m to a small shelter and information board close to Eucalyptus Rd. Turn right here, and walk up the hill through the Pauline Toner Butterfly Reserve. At the top of the hill, leave the reserve, and cross the roundabout into Nyora Rd. From this point there are 5 possibilities:
- 100m along Nyora Rd, turn left into Scarlet Ash Crt. Walk to the end, then take the track straight ahead between houses numbered 9 and 10. Walk past the end of Peppermint Grove and Stokes Place (neither sign-posted). Continue on up the track to the fence line, then turn right. At the sign ‘Diosma Reserve’ and ‘Eltham Copper Butterfly Habitat’, turn left. When the track and sealed path intersects with Diosma Rd (no sign), turn left, pass a track on the right into a further section of the Butterfly Reserve, and take the second track on the right, just past Gumhill Ct. Keep to the paling fence on the left, ignoring three tracks off to the right. At the bottom of the hill, cross the road, and continue along the easement opposite until Beard St, (also not sign-posted here). Cross Beard St into Cooinda Reserve, and Grove St. Walk along Grove St and past the entrance to Woodridge Linear Reserve. Return to the cars via the forward route.
- Walk along Nyora Rd for about 1km to Reynolds Rd. Turn left, and after 100m take the track with the wire gate and marked ‘Yarra Valley Water’ on the left. On reaching open land and the power line easement, follow the track across and under the powerlines to pick up a track between houses. At the end of this track is a property on the left with the name ‘Warringah’ (26). This track leads into unmarked and sealed Diosma Rd. Proceed 30m past Gumhill Ct, and take the easement on the right. Walk along the easement, ignoring tracks coming in principally from the right. Cross 3 sealed roads (all unmarked) to reach Cooinda Reserve and Beard St. Cross into the Reserve(the sign isn’t obvious, as it faces traffic coming from the right). Walk along Grove St from the Reserve (it will be on your left) and past the point where you entered the Woodridge Linear Reserve, again on your left. Return to the cars via the forward route.
- Walk along Nyora Rd for about 1 km to Reynolds Rd, Turn left, and after 100m take the track with the wire gate, and marked ‘Yarra Valley Water’ on the left. On reaching open land and the power line easement, turn right to follow tracks adjacent to the power lines. After 250m, turn left into Valonia Dve. Continue along Valonia Dve for about 1 km, where it will intersect with Beard St. Cross into Cooinda Reserve and Grove St. Walk along Grove St and past the point where you entered Woodridge Linear Reserve. Return to the cars via the forward route.
- Walk along Nyora Rd for about 1 km to Reynolds Rd. Turn left, and after 100m take the track with the wire gate, and marked ‘Yarra Valley Water’ on the left. On reaching open land and the power line easement, turn right to follow tracks adjacent to the power lines. Continue along this easement for 1½ km until Main Rd is reached. Cross Main Rd, turn left, and follow the sealed path adjacent to Main Rd for about 3.2 km, to return to the cars.
- After exploring the Butterfly Reserve, return and exit from the same location, cross Eucalyptus Rd, and continue along the easement, which eventually skirts Peppermint Grove and Stokes Place. Follow easement ahead and then back along houses, bearing left into Diosma Rd. Turn left here, then right, and walk to the end of Gum Hill Ct. Turn left, to be under the transmission lines, and follow the lines north both up and down hill, until a defined path to Main Rd is reached. Turn left, to return to cars.